How do I add a custom domain name & create an SSL Certificate for my portfolio?
Pixelrights does not automatically supply SSL certificates for domain names purchased outside of the Pixelrights Domains registry.
But don't panic...you will not need to buy an SSL Certificate from your own domain host!
In order to point your domain name at your website securely, you will just need to make some minor changes to the DNS settings in your domain host's dashboard. eg: GoDaddy etc
Please remember...we can always step-in to help, should you find this a technical challenge!
You will need to:
Select the Free plan - £0 monthly.
Add your domain name to your Cloudflare dashboard.
Add 3 A Records for your domain name, to your Cloudflare dashboard.
Copy the Nameservers for your domain name created in Cloudflare.
Go to your domain host dashboard and add these new Cloudflare Nameservers into your domain name host dashboard.
Please follow this step-by-step Guide to get set-up.
1. Get started with Cloudflare.
- Go to Cloudflare
- Click Sign Up in the top-right menu.
2. Register a Cloudflare account.
- Enter your email address.
- Create a new password.
3. Add your domain name to Cloudflare.
- Click the 'Add site' button
- Enter your domain name.
- Click the 'Add site' button again.
4. Select a FREE subscription plan.
- Select the 'Free' plan.
- Click the 'Confirm plan' button.
5. Enter your DNS information.
- Go to the DNS menu.
- Add your domain name's 3 A Records into the DNS settings.
Note: The first 3 records are important.
- Type: A Record - Content: Enter the * symbol - Enter IP Address: 18.104.22.168 - Proxy status: DNS only
- Type: A Record - Content: Enter the @ symbol - Enter IP Address: 22.214.171.124 Proxy status: Proxied
- Type: A Record - Content: Enter www. - Enter IP Address: 126.96.36.199 Proxy status: Proxied
6. Replace your Domain Nameservers with Cloudflare Nameservers.
Cloudflare will give you the new Nameservers information, which you have to enter in your Domain name Dashboard settings.
Nameserver 1: example.ns.cloudflare.com -
Nameserver 2: example.ns.cloudflare.com
7. Set up the SSL/TLS.
- Go to SSL/TLS in the Menu
- Select the 'Full' setting.
8. Enable HTTPS.
Go to Edge Certificates tab in the menu.
Go to the 'Always use HTTPS’ section.
Now please allow time for the propagation of your domain name.